Paul,

I don't really have much more to offer here. As I mentioned, I ran into
a similar problem a while back, but never really solved it...I just
converted my C++ code to C. I'm hoping someone that really knows what
they are doing could help.

In the meantime, one thing to try is to look for an extension written in
C++ that does build with setup.py, and see how it is done. Matplotlib
comes top mind, though that's a pretty complex one.

Paul Kinnane wrote:
>>I doubt it. It is in libstdc++
>
> Well I couldn't find any trace of a file called "libstdc*" on my Mac, so
> maybe it isn't installed?

Weird. On my machine (10.3.?) it's in:

/usr/lib/

It's also in:
/usr/lib/gcc/darwin/3.1
and
/usr/lib/gcc/darwin/3.3

and a couple other places. some of these may be links to others. gcc3.3
is now my system compiler.

> So I replaced the gcc link command with g++, and now when I do "import
> ode" in python I get...
>       ImportError: Loaded module does not contain symbol _initode2
>
> Which seems to indicate a problem with the ODE build.

yes, it does look like that. Is there an 'extern "C" ' before the
_initode2() definition?

Is there an _initode2() defined?

Sorry I can't be more help,

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

[EMAIL PROTECTED]