Jan Erik Moström wrote:

I'm trying to learn how to use appscript but I don't understand what I'm missing. I want to read photo info from iPhoto and have things working ... partly
[...]
   # set ptitle to date of item 1 of the selection
   # app(u'iPhoto').selection.items[1].date.get()
   print 'Date  : ', item.date.get()
   # AttributeError: Unknown property, element or command: 'date'

The problem is the line where I try to get the date info, the first commented line is the applescript line I'm trying to translate, the second is what ASTranslate tells me, and the third is the error message I get.

ASTranslate is wrong here; it should be 'date_' with a trailing underscore, not 'date'.

In situations where application-defined terms conflict with built-in terms (i.e. use the same keyword but a different four-char code), appscript appends an underscore to the application-defined term to prevent any problems.

There was a known inconsistency in how older versions of appscript applied these escapes; that has been fixed in the latest appscript and ASDictionary releases, but I've not had time to update ASTranslate yet.

Meantime, if in doubt, go by the appscript-style dictionary, which you can export as HTML from ASDictionary or browse via appscript's built- in help() method (see the appscript manual for details).

HTH

has

--
Control AppleScriptable applications from Python, Ruby and ObjC:
http://appscript.sourceforge.net