> On 13 Dec 2016, at 04:02, Glyph Lefkowitz <gl...@twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
>

>> On Dec 12, 2016, at 1:25 AM, Ronald Oussoren <ronaldousso...@mac.com
>> <mailto:ronaldousso...@mac.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I’ve just pushed PyObjC 3.2.1 to PyPI. This fixes a number of small issues
>> in PyObjC 3.2, but the primary new feature is that there are now wheels on
>> PyPI.
>>
>> I’ve tested the wheels on OSX 10.12 with the Python.org <http://python.org/>
>> “intel” installers (the default download option for the OSX installers) and
>> Homebrew. The wheels should also work fine with older OSX releases.
>
> Thank you *so* much, Ronald :D.  I installed pyobjc onto my laptop just now
> and didn't even have to go get an icepack out of the freezer first :-).  In
> under ten seconds, no less, for both python 3.5 and python 2.7.  A glorious
> day, to be sure.
Great to hear that.

> One minor note - I do notice that the 'pyobjc' package itself has no wheel,
> even though all its dependents do.  Any chance you could upload 2.7/3.5
> wheels for that as well?  It would just complete the set :-).

That is intentional. The setup.py for the package pyobjc calculates the
“install_requires” list at runtime to ensure it will only install framework
wrappers for frameworks that are actually present.  It might be possible to use
conditional dependencies for that (see [1]), but I haven’t checked yet if those
compare version numbers as structured data or strings.  PEP 426 seems to
indicate they are just strings, and that would be less useful.

I guess a wheel for the “pyobjc” package could just depend on all framework
wrappers, that would install some code that isn’t relevant for the current
machine but wouldn’t result in install failures (which could happen when
installing all framework wrappers from source).

Ronald

[1]: http://wheel.readthedocs.io/en/latest/#defining-conditional-dependencies