Python runs just fine natively on M1 Macs. The python.org <http://python.org/>
installer will install a Universal2 binary (a single binary containing both the
i386 and arm architectures).

If you install through brew you get the architecture your brew has been
configured for.

But there _is_ a problem with native arm Python, and that is that not all
extension packages (think: from pypi) have M1 versions available yet. This is
especially true for packages that depend on external libraries (which may not
have been ported to M1 yet).

The way I handle this on my (M1) development machine is that I have both
versions of brew installed, which is easy because arm-brew installs into
/opt/homebrew by default and intel-brew installs into /usr/local.

If I open a Terminal window it has /opt/homebrew/bin before /usr/local/bin in
my $PATH, and the background is white.

If I open an iTerm window it runs in Rosetta intel emulation mode, it has
/usr/local/bin before /opt/homebrew/bin, and the background is a creamy
old-fashioned looking off-white color.

As long as I do builds in the window of the correct color, and the correct
tools I need for building have been installed in the correct directory
everything works fine.The white windows will use python3 for arm, the cream
windows will use python3 for intel.
--
Jack Jansen, <jack.jan...@cwi.nl>, http://www.cwi.nl/~jack