Thanks! I think pywinusb will be what I need. Thanks for the help!

keith

-----Original Message-----
From: Xiaofan Chen [mailto:xiaof...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2016 8:30 PM
To: pyusb-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [pyusb-users] Using a different backend

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 7:29 AM, keith <ke...@thephillipsdesignhouse.co> wrote:
> I have a project I am working on that uses python to communicate with
> a HID usb device (two way communication). It’s currently working fine
> using pyUSB and the libUSB-win32. However the client wants to try and
> avoid the step of installing the libUSB driver.
>
> Currently when you plugin the device it uses HidUsb (c6.1.76…) for the
> default driver. I then have to replace the driver with libUSB using
> zadig in order for pyusb to be able to access it.
>
> Is there a way to use the default driver (hid.dll I think) when using
> pyusb instead of libusb? This is on Windows 7+. Python 3.5.
>
> Thanks for any help you can give or pointing me in the right
> direction,

You should switch to libusb-1.0 backend of pyusb, libusb under Windows work
with HID device with the need to switching driver to
libusb-win32 or WinUSb. But there are some limitations.

For generic HID device, it should work. You do need to have libusb-1.0.dll in
the system.

The other potentially better choice is to use pywinusb if your application is
only for Windows.

   https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pywinusb/
   https://github.com/rene-aguirre/pywinusb/wiki/Introduction

If you need cross-platform support for your Python application, then pyusb and
pywinusb are not good choice for HID device.
In that case, you can look at HIDAPI and its Python binding.
You do need to have HIDAPI in the system.
  https://github.com/signal11/hidapi
  https://github.com/apmorton/pyhidapi
  https://github.com/gbishop/cython-hidapi

--