John,

Not knowing your exact barcode scanner is a real hindrance.
One good piece of information you forgot to provide was what exactly you were
interfacing to.
USB barcode scanner is too generic,  you need read
http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

That being said the VID is from Honeywell, so here is on of their manuals for a
2d barcode reader.
See page 2-4 of http://www.honeywellaidc.com/CatalogDocuments/Xenon-UG.pdf
Clearly it states that to enable the USB CDC mode you scan that barcode.

To enable USB-CDC mode of the barcode scanner.
Windows needs a driver, but mac and linux will use the generic USB-CDC driver.

Now you will connect with pySerial and communicate with your barcode scanner as
a serial device.

Happy hacking,
Steve