(This reply is delayed because my email provider has been on one of
sourceforge’s email blacklists and replies were being rejected)

Thanks for the reply - I had this problem quite a few weeks ago now and solved
it myself and the details are not as clear as they were when I wrote the mail
in May.

Didn’t have anything to do with Isochronous transfers, I wasn’t using the Isoc
endpoints at all, they just happened to exist in the example Atmel code I was
using. As far as I got before moving on it seemed the selection of the
alternate interface was more to do with the problem, I recall that when
debugging it I never saw the command on the device to select it and that would
mean it stayed in base configuration which only had a control endpoint.

Anyway I moved on at that point, abstracted out code for what I actually wanted
on the device, which was one setting and just a couple of bulk pipes and
implemented that. That simpler device model works just fine so I’ve  left the
issue behind.

Will probably have some more questions as things get more complicated.
Currently running pyusb in a wxPython app I have reads running on a thread so
the UI event loop is separate. Not sure yet that’s the best scalable way to do
things and so I may look at polling pyusb off the idle event instead .. which
may also give me device insertion/removal  which I’d quite like. Get to those a
bit later.