Francesco Cosoleto <cosol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The import statement isn't executed due to syntax error. Isn't that the
> problem?
>
> Besides wikipedia module is a library so it hasn't to close Python.
>
> gettext probably it's a good idea to improve bots compatibility with 3.0.

The syntax error will not occur if Python exits before importing.

Python 3.0 includes major changes that are not backwards-compatible,
so it would be hard to make the framework 3.0-compatible. For example,
the u'string' syntax is no longer valid, because all strings are now
Unicode by default; also, many modules no longer function in Python
3.0. Maintaining two versions of the code (one for Python 2.x and one
for 3.0) would involve a lot of duplication of effort for little gain,
since Python 3.0 is not widely adopted yet.

I think a warning that pywikipediabot is not Python 3.0-compatible may
be better for now, unless someone wants to dedicate their free time to
maintaining a Python 3.0 branch.

--
Yours cordially,
Jesse Plamondon-Willard (Pathoschild)