Hi Almar,

I was quite (positively) surprised reading your email, and to hear that
breakpoints work also when you call from shell. So I did some basic tests and
in fact you are right it works. So I went back to my use case and it didn't
work.
After some investigation I was able to systematically reproduce the problem. I
try to explain here maybe you can reproduce it as well.

For instance if I do:

In [23]: import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
# look where the plt module is located
In [24]: plt.__file__
Out[24]: '/home/diti/anaconda3/lib/python3.5/sitpackages/matplotlib/pyplot.py'

Then I open this file via the File -> open in the editor
then I search for the plot function and I put a breakpoint right after the
definition and I call it from shell:
In [25]: plt.plot()
Out[25]: []

The breakpoint is not working.

Knowing that it should work I did the following:
closed the file and opened like this
In [26]: %edit plt
(the file open is the same)
searching for the plot function, putting a breakpoint and again calling from
shell
In [27]: plt.plot()

(plot)>>> DB STOP
Program execution stopped from debugger.

And Yeah it works!!!

So I don't know if this is expected behavior or a bug, in any case it is fine
to know that it works, (since in scientific python IDE's debugging is not as
comfortable as in Matlab and this is a little bit a stopper) but with IEP we
are very close to and even better thanks to the postmortem debugger.

ps: What is still missing for IEP (from my point of view) to be the perfect
scientific IDE?

- PEP8 highlighting/suggesitons like spyder
- Column selection mode in the editor
Minor:
- it would be nice to have the shell detachable from the ide (i.e. Dock
widget)

Bye,
Dietrich