Yes, but also in this case if I run the file as a script than the console
is retarted and we loose all previous work.
Effectively we are in a very same situation as we had with the current
directory setting.

Perhaps could it be the definitive solution to have the option "running as
a script" not restarting the shell? If this is needed the user can do it
very easily manually, or perhaps having a third option, i.e. run as a
script (with all the special settings __file__ setting directory,) but not
automatically restarting. (just a thought)

Finally I not really need to use __file__ I would just need to find out
another way to get the current filename.

Thanks,
Dietrich