OK so this is weird,

it works fine when I download it as a zip file, just not when I try and
install it...

Do old versions of pyzo leave anything behind when uninstalled? It looks as
though they do, because my environment settings and open tabs seem to be
reloading when I reinstall - even though I've uninstalled everything
previously. Could this be a source of conflict?