Ah! Thanks for clarifying. Top be fair, the IPython support in Pyzo is not optimal (and I never use it myself).

The first thing that comes to mind is that perhaps the config file will need to be loaded by Pyzo explicitly. You could try to see whether this is the problem by raising an error in it (or make it syntactically invalid) and then starting IPython and a Pyzo kernel and see what happens. If the Pyzo kernel starts up normally, we know that there has been no attempt to load the config file, and we should probably add that.

Regads,
  Almar