> Hi,
>
> I'd like to enquire if it's desired to let runtask exit with '1' if the
> task in question has a 'FAILED' outcome.
>
> Maybe there was a conscious decision of not providing this feature and
> I'd like to hear about it.
>
> I've joined Taskotron on phabricator. If there are no obvious
> resentments against such an idea, I'm happy to create a task and
> implement it.
>
> Kind Regards,
> --
> Róman Joost

Hey Róman,

thanks for joining the project and welcome :)

We have never really thought about the feature you're talking about. We
currently return non-zero in case the execution fails - ctrl+c, an exception
thrown. If we wanted to extend it to the FAILED task result, I see the
following issues:

1. We have other outcomes defined at the moment, like NEEDS_INSPECTION:
https://docs.qadevel.cloud.fedoraproject.org/libtaskotron/latest/library.html#libtaskotron.check.CheckDetail
What should happen in that case?

2. Some tasks do not check just a single item. For example, depcheck and
upgradepath check everything that is currently proposed for stable or testing
updates. They can return a dozen test results. What should happen when there
are mixed results?

3. At the moment, it's technically possible to leave out the 'resultsdb'
directive the from task recipe. I cannot imagine a use case for this, because
in development mode, this only reports to stdout, but it's possible if you need
it. If we wanted to inspect task outcomes, we need to do it from TAP, therefore
in the 'resultsdb' directive. It might be confusing to people that if you
commented out that directive, runtask would stop returning "correct" return
codes.

One further thought, instead of implementing this by default, we can also
create a new directive or variable which will allow task creators to set the
exit code, according to TAP or any other logic they want.

Why exactly do you need this? For local testing? runtask is just an execution
wrapper, so you should be able to run your `./script some args` the same way as
`runtask -i item -t type script.yml`. Except for some set up steps (like 'koji'
or 'bodhi' directive), so if you use some of these, I can see a reason why you
would want to run it through runtask.

Kamil