> * Will need to be more diligent about keeping dev/stg on
>   updates-testing so that we don't get any nasty surprises in production

I don't have much advice about the other points, but this one caught my
attention. Do we really need to use updates-testing for dev/stg? That might be
quite problematic, because anyone can submit anything, no matter how broken,
into updates-testing. Wouldn't be a safer approach to update dev daily (and stg
e.g. every other day) from stable updates? And production would be updated
weekly or bi-weekly (or however often we need it), with the exception of
security updates. Security updates would be applied to dev/stg immediately and
after a few jobs were successfully executed, it would be applied to production.
Would this approach work?

I guess the approach with security updates would be the same, no matter whether
it's Fedora or RHEL. So the only difference in the volume and speed of standard
updates.

This doesn't mean I'm in favor of running Fedora, I think you have much more
experienced view on this. I'm just thinking aloud about some of the details.