Bug policy debate and so on..

Well, just sharing experience from as a past developper and notorious bug
fighter.

There is no other point in creating a database of bugs and not treating
them, than to have an ultra-complicated list of known issues (so complex
that users report are duplicated) and frustrated reporters (and testers).

"It is no a display of disrespect when a certain bug is not fixed."
Yes until you have a list of open bugs, which generated itself a list of
duplicates...
What matters is the evolution ratio closed / confirmed by release (e.g.
3.4.1) and cumulated version (3.4.x).

"I would like to add another one.  I am a developer.  When I spend time on
fixing bugs then I sometimes wish there where a big list of all open bugs
that are sorted according to importance.  I would go down the list and grab
a bug from the top that lies in the area of my expertise (Impress, UI,
Slideshow, Sidebar).  Without such a list I have to prioritize bugs by
myself.  And if I do that then I use my own judgement of which bug is
important and which is not."

This further illustrate the fact that in order to handle these list, one
has introduced techniques such as priority and vote for bug.

My own experience shows, that all these are not good policy for bug
treatment, it's a dispair.

Bug should be assigned in groups regarding a feature with final objective
in mind.
What do I mean by feature.
Take for instance in Calc, the pivot table function.
All bug regarding pivot table should be treated together, or most of them.
Why concentrating?
Because:
1/ It takes time to fix a bug, because one needs to understand or
re-understand the implementation.
"- Fixing a bug usually takes a lot more time and effort than reporting one.
Also, often because test case scenario are not narrow enough - see my other
post.

2/ By taking all bugs related to a piece of source code, each time you
become more familliar and so more efficient. In a sense you proof reading
it several times, you get leverage on bug handling.

3/ By reviewing several related bugs, you reduce the risk or regression, as
you've been through it several times, each time with a deeper understanding.

"The other thing to note is that bug fixes are not risk-free.  Studies
have shown that 25% of defects in code are side effects of changes".
FFmpeg is really a good example for regression, to a point I stopped
reporting (first you have to convince it's a bug, then it lays pending to a
wish to fix it and then you find older release which works...)

4/ Having fixed a bulk of related feature bugs, report the fix is
implemented to all different reporters. They will(hopefully if done in a
reasonable time, not like me who got a mail for a bug I posted 2 years
ago...) test "their" bug and by doing so improve the total quality control
and reduce regression risk.

What do I mean by assigning by objective.

Well, here is for me where the votes should take place, grouped by user,
tester and developer (might have different interests).

Suppose, pivot table code is considered as a mess by developpers and ought
to be re-written by next release. There is no point in fixing pivot table
bug now.

Suppose users consider that priority should be assigned in this order
1. fix doc format issues
2. fix grammar check issues

It has to be respected and if there is a "critical" bug in another field,
well if it will wait.

One should not vote for a bug, but rather for an expected behaviour.

Phil