On Sat, Oct 24, 2020 at 8:14 PM Carl Marcum <cmar...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've been testing builds with the automated BVT and FVT tests lately.
> I have a few questions:
>
> 1. Is there anything documented about how much coverage these tests
> provide vs.functionality?
>
> 2. Is there yet a place to list new cases it would good to add test for?
>
> I think there is a lot that could be done in this area to attract new
> contributors if we had a place to work from.
> Both in documenting and work on some flaky tests that I've run into.
>
> I'm willing to put some effort into this, both organizing and developing.

Hi Carl

Thank you for helping with the tests.

I wrote a good email summarizing the different tests we have some years
ago, please see
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/bb1851b82ba009d2cefdf5af9997099b6fdfb04bddac3753172f2698%401459253891%40%3Cdev.openoffice.apache.org%3E
Some things changed since then, eg. the smoketest location moved. There are
a few other emails too, search for them.

I also did some test fixes to bvt/fvt and others at various times. This
year I learned quite a lot about them. For example many tests fail because
they expect features that the .DOC file format cannot provide (such as
strikeout styles unique to .ODT), there were timeouts, registry
modifications had to be enabled to fix a test, confirmation dialogs that
hang the tests, a 2048 byte limit in FreeBSD's "ps" was causing a pid
lookup to fail, java.util.Calendar was being used incorrectly, etc. I fixed
some of these, but others remain. Understanding why the .DOC tests fail
requires understanding the .DOC file format, so fixing those tests isn't
easy. Look through the Git log, I wrote pretty descriptive commit messages.

One thing I didn't mention in that email is the thousands of unused tests
we have in main/qadevOOo, but they seem difficult to set up, and use a
custom test framework, not JUnit. They have a complex architecture, with
some code implementing UNO components and some code testing them. There
might even be code missing for some of them. There's a mixture of Java and
StarBasic tests there, with much duplication - were they first written in
one language then semi-ported to another?

Anyway I can't help much at the moment, but good luck and let us know how
it goes.

Damjan