On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 09:20:11AM -0500, Cleber Rosa wrote:

> On 11/13/18 8:51 AM, Kevin Wolf wrote:
> > Am 13.11.2018 um 14:26 hat Eduardo Habkost geschrieben:
> >> On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 01:18:36PM +0100, Kevin Wolf wrote:
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> What problems you are trying to address here, exactly?
> >>
> >> If you don't have Avocado installed in your system, all you need
> >> is Python 3, an internet connection, and the ability to type
> >> "make check-acceptance" on your keyboard.
> >
> > Thanks, didn't know that one. Apparently you don't only need to have
> > Python 3 available on the system, but also explicitly use it for
> > ./configure?
> >
> >     $ LANG=C make check-acceptance
> >     /home/kwolf/source/qemu/tests/Makefile.include:930: *** "venv directory
> > for tests requires Python 3".  Stop.
> >
> > While this doesn't make the tests available automatically for everyone,
> > we'll get there when we finally make Python 3 the default (hopefully
> > soon), which is already a lot better than what docs/devel/testing.rst
> > promises:
> >
> >     These tests are written using the Avocado Testing Framework (which
> >     must be installed separately) [...]
> >
> > Maybe time to update the docs to match the improved situation? :-)
> >
> > Kevin
> >

> The docs were updated when "make check-acceptance" was used.  That
> sentence is still true, Avocado must be installed separately, it's just
> that "check-venv", used by "check-acceptance" does just that.

With check-venv, we made "installing avocado" a small
implementation detail that people don't need to care about when
running the tests.

I believe the sentence "which must be installed separately" is
now confusing and misleading.  It can be easily interpreted as
"must be installed manually by the user", which is not case.

--
Eduardo