On 1/14/21 4:08 PM, Bin Meng wrote:
> From: Bin Meng <bin.m...@windriver.com>
>
> The m25p80 model uses s->needed_bytes to indicate how many follow-up
> bytes are expected to be received after it receives a command. For
> example, depending on the address mode, either 3-byte address or
> 4-byte address is needed.
>
> For fast read family commands, some dummy cycles are required after
> sending the address bytes, and the dummy cycles need to be counted
> in s->needed_bytes. This is where the mess began.
>
> As the variable name (needed_bytes) indicates, the unit is in byte.
> It is not in bit, or cycle. However for some reason the model has
> been using the number of dummy cycles for s->needed_bytes. The right
> approach is to convert the number of dummy cycles to bytes based on
> the SPI protocol, for example, 6 dummy cycles for the Fast Read Quad
> I/O (EBh) should be converted to 3 bytes per the formula (6 * 4 / 8).
>
> Things get complicated when interacting with different SPI or QSPI
> flash controllers. There are major two cases:
>
> - Dummy bytes prepared by drivers, and wrote to the controller fifo.
>   For such case, driver will calculate the correct number of dummy
>   bytes and write them into the tx fifo. Fixing the m25p80 model will
>   fix flashes working with such controllers.
> - Dummy bytes not prepared by drivers. Drivers just tell the hardware
>   the dummy cycle configuration via some registers, and hardware will
>   automatically generate dummy cycles for us. Fixing the m25p80 model
>   is not enough, and we will need to fix the SPI/QSPI models for such
>   controllers.
>
> This series fixes the mess in the m25p80 from the flash side first,
> followed by fixes to 3 known SPI controller models that fall into
> the 2nd case above.
>
> Please note, I have no way to verify patch 7/8/9 because:
>
> * There is no public datasheet available for the SoC / SPI controller
> * There is no QEMU docs, or details that tell people how to boot either
>   U-Boot or Linux kernel to verify the functionality

The Linux drivers are available in mainline but these branches are more
up to date since not everything is merged :

  https://github.com/openbmc/linux

u-boot :

  https://github.com/openbmc/u-boot/tree/v2016.07-aspeed-openbmc
(ast2400/ast2500)
  https://github.com/openbmc/u-boot/tree/v2019.04-aspeed-openbmc (ast2600)

A quick intro :

  https://www.qemu.org/docs/master/system/arm/aspeed.html

> These 3 patches are very likely to be wrong. Hence I would like to ask
> help from the original author who wrote these SPI controller models
> to help testing, or completely rewrite these 3 patches to fix things.
> Thanks!

A quick test shows that all Aspeed machines are broken with this patchset.

Please try these command lines :

  wget
https://openpower.xyz/job/openbmc-build/lastSuccessfulBuild/distro=ubuntu,label=builder,target=palmetto/artifact/deploy/images/palmetto/flash-palmetto
  wget
https://openpower.xyz/job/openbmc-build/lastSuccessfulBuild/distro=ubuntu,label=builder,target=romulus/artifact/deploy/images/romulus/flash-romulus
  wget
https://openpower.xyz/job/openbmc-build/lastSuccessfulBuild/distro=ubuntu,label=builder,target=witherspoon/artifact/deploy/images/witherspoon/obmc-phosphor-image-witherspoon.ubi.mtd

  qemu-system-arm -M witherspoon-bmc -nic user -drive
file=obmc-phosphor-image-witherspoon.ubi.mtd,format=raw,if=mtd -nographic
  qemu-system-arm -M romulus-bmc -nic user -drive
file=flash-romulus,format=raw,if=mtd -nographic
  qemu-system-arm -M palmetto-bmc -nic user -drive
file=flash-palmetto,format=raw,if=mtd -nographic

The Aspeed SMC model has traces to help you in the task.

Thanks,

C.