Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

[ Snip ... ]

[Completely incorrect rant snipped]

I wish you were right... Alas, I stand by my words : the attitude of a minority of Debian developpers is on the line of "If it was hard to write, it should be hard to use". Unfortunately, this minority has a serious overlap with the *very good and active* category...

Case in point : I distinctly reember reading a convoluted thread in one of the Debian lists about this /etc/alternative issue for gcc... Was I drunk ? Or what ?

So you're supposed to "ln -s /usr/bin/gcc-3.3 /usr/bin/gcc # etc ...) ad nauseam...

No, you're bloody well not.  You're supposed to configure applications
to use the correct compiler if they need a particular version.  For
qemu that's --cc.  Not so hard, was it?

Didn't work last time I tried : you may do that at *configure* step. In the case of a GCC4 kernel, you have to : - configure and make with gcc 3.3 (--cc=gcc-3.3 goes into config-host.mak. What the host-cc does is fairly well obscur to me (got lost in the Makefile/source code), and was undocumented last time I pored over Fabrice's pages).
- make clean in the kemu directory
- re-make with GCC 4 : this recompiles only the kqemu part.

If you can suggest a more steamlined way, I'd be happy to hear from it, and even more happy to read it on Fabrice's pages or somewhere in the documentation...

                                        Emmanuel Charpentier