---- Ishwar Rattan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Any one has had success with this combination?

Haven't tried it yet.

> Also, anyone running any x86 version of Solaris
> under qemu? I would like a copy of the disk-image
> if possible.

Depending on the version of Solaris x86 you want to run,
the best way to get Solaris running is to apply the acpi
patch that was posted to the list (and run the iasl against
it to create the hex file) and grab a dvd image (or burn
the dvd if short of the 2.5G that the dvd images requires)
and install Solaris.

Hints for installing Solaris under qemu:

1) At a minimum, you will need at least a 4-5GB qemu image file
    to load all of Solaris on.  Even the developer subset is probably
    around 3GB.  a bare minimum install is a 3-400MB, but is barely
    usable unless you like a bare system with no X.

2) solaris 8/9/10 FCS - at least 256 MB of memory, 384 is better.
    solaris 10 U1 or better, or Solaris Express (11) really needs
    384 at a bare minimum or 512 to do the graphical install. I prefer
    the text install, just to keep the overhead down.

    You can configure the xorg driver to do 1152x864 (IIRC) at the
    maximum resolution. Default should be around 1024x768. You
    can also do this very easily post reboot if you've done a text
    install.  (Though build 38 or 39 of Solaris Express does  a really
    job of picking the right resolution for displaying)

3) If loading S10U1 or Solaris express (11),  you'll need to edit the
    initial grub boot menu, and add ",atapi-cd-dma-enabled=0" after
    the "-B <install something or other I can't remember right now>"

    While I haven't installed 8, 9 or 10FCS recently, you may or may not
    have to go into the DCS (Device configuration setup), and modify
    the parameter acpi-user-options=0x2.  This will be F4 at the boot
   device selection menu.  I haven't tested this these older releases with
    the acpi patch, so you might not have to do this.

4) Download the DU Install Time Update (ITU) floppy from
    tools.de/solaris/itu.  There is one for Solaris 9/10, and one
    for Solaris Express (Nevada).  This driver disk has a modified
    version of Murayama's ni driver (ne2000) that works with qemu.
   For Solaris 9 and 10/FCS, you will hit F4 in the DCS menu to install
   the ITU.  For Solaris Express and Solaris 10 U1 or later, you will
   have to do it once the machine is booted (IIRC, select #5).  The
   ACPI patch is important here because Sun's grub boot code doesn't
   correctly enumerate an ISA floppy.  The ACPI patch allows Solaris
   to recognize the floppy, and therefore you can do an Install time
   update.

HTH,

Ben