Joe Batt wrote:
I disagree. /bin/sh makes a very flexible config file format that I use. I use it on win32, Linux and Mac OS X.

The problem with only taking command line arguments is that the number and size of command line arguments are severely limited on certain platforms. This is why almost every sufficiently aged/portable program supports either a config file or a method of taking command line options via a file. The later is really just a particular format of a config file.

If you care about scripting QEMU, then just do something like:

qemu -config - <<EOF
hda=${myhda}
hdb=${myhdb}
EOF

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

I would prefer that you write another cross platform shell, than another config file. At least that way I could use the same config tool for more than one application.

Everytime this comes up, do I have to disagree again, so that my voice is not lost?

Any yes, adding features that I do not use increases the complexity and decreases the stability of the features I do use, so it would effect me. I have the same feeling about embedding VNC authentication, the samba server, etc.

Joe