Hi,

> There are also some PPC machines that have BIOS emulator in firmware and
> would need the ROM to init the device but these have problems with QEMU's
> gcc compiled ROMs that contain i386 opcodes and can't run these.

That used to be standard practice in linux.  Before we got kernel mode
setting the Xserver ran the vgabios code to set video modes.  On i386 in
vm86 mode, on all other architectures (including x86_64) in an emulator
(x86emu fork IIRC).

Fun fact:  There are a bunch of hacks in seabios to avoid certain
instructions in vgabios binaries, to workaround emulator limitations.
And, yes, i386 opcodes are problematic, even though at least the Xserver
emulator became better over time.

take care,
  Gerd