Hi Sahil,

On Sun, Feb 25, 2024 at 10:38 PM Sahil <icegambi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My name is Sahil and I go by the pseudonym 'valdaarhun' on Github. I have
> never contributed to QEMU before but I have used it a few times as an end
> user. I developed an interest in virtualization during my internship at
> VMware and would like to dive deeper in this subfield.
>
> My current full-time job does not allow me to take part in external programs
> that are paid. I would like to work on one of the proposed projects outside
> of GSoC.

Sure, not a problem at all, also because for this year QEMU was not
accepted in GSoC, so anybody can work on those projects if they have
time

> I have gone through QEMU's list of GSoC '24 projects [1] and am
> interested in two of them:
>
> 1. Add packed virtqueue to Shadow Virtqueue
> 2. vhost-user memory isolation
>
> Based on what I have understood, they are somewhat related and are part
> of the migration subsystem. I feel the learning curve of the first project
> will be less steep and will make me better prepared to tackle the second
> project as well.

The first project is for sure related with migration. While vhost-user
memory isolation is not really related to migration, but both are
related to virtio devices.
Anyway, your plan looks good to me!

> I have read the "Getting Started for Developers" [2] wiki page. I have also
> built QEMU from source.

Great!

> I think my next step should be to read the documentation on the migration
> subsystem [3], the blog posts attached in the first project's description
> and virtqueue's implementation. Would you also recommend that I work on a
> QEMU issue that is open on Gitlab and related to virtqueues/virtio to
> familiarize
> myself with the codebase? I went through the issues tagged as "device:virtio"
> [4]
> but can't really tell if any of them are good for beginners. One of them has
> the
> "bite-size" tag [5]. It also has a patch attached but hasn't been merged.
> Shall I
> work on getting that merged?

Yeah, "bite-size" issues should be better to understand how to
contribute to QEMU.
Feel free to work on any issue, doing the work or helping to complete
old patches.

> I have worked on a few smaller systems programming issues in other
> organizations (eg: strace [6], htop [7]) in the past.
>
> I look forward to hearing from you.

Feel free to reach us if you have more questions on the projects.

Thanks,
Stefano