On 04/25/12 13:03, Jan Kiszka wrote:
> Hi Gerd,
>
> I had problems with Windows LiveMeeting expecting a microphone as
> input. But the HDA model only exposes a line-in port. The following hack
> works for me, but I bet there is a cleaner solution. Any suggestions?

Good to know this works.  /me has patches ready to go, was just waiting
for testing feedback ...

Pushed to git://git.kraxel.org/qemu audio.1

They do essentially the same, except that they leave the existing
hda-duplex code as-is and add a new hda-micro codec instead which
advertises the input as micro to the guest.

> BTW, sound output quality of a Win7 guest on my Linux hosts sucks while
> it's fine for a Linux guest. I vaguely recall that Windows requests a
> too small DAC buffer, is that true? Is there anything one can do about
> this?

Yes.  The buffer is ~ one page and can hold 20 ms of sound data, so
considering buffer flipping intel-hda has to shuffle data every 10ms,
and the windows guest needs to be scheduled too so it can re-fill the
other half of the buffer.  Which obviously makes sound playback *very*
sensitive to latencies anywhere in the qemu.

What you can do about it?  Dunno whenever windows allows to tweak the
buffer size somehow.  When I looked deeper at that a while back the
biggest latency issues in qemu used to be qxl, ide/qcow2 and vnc.  qcow2
should be fixed now with the switch to coroutines and full async i/o.
Likewise qxl, although this depends on recent guest drivers.  For vnc
enabling the threaded vnc server helps alot (without it moving around
windows leads to sound dropouts).

cheers,
  Gerd