On 01/26/2010 07:55 AM, Avi Kivity wrote:
The risk is that if we support a private extension (like '') and then json is officially extended to support a conflicting or similar syntax with a different meaning, then we cannot advance to the next revision of json without breaking compatibility.

The paragraph I quoted from the RFC seems to suggest that the authors of JSON boxed themselves in with respect to extending JSON. The reason being that a conforming implementation is given free reign to extend with "non-JSON forms or extensions". That would seem to prevent any extension.

Keep in mind, JSON is a proper subset of ECMAScript which means the likelihood of extension going outside of ECMAScript would be extremely unlikely. I don't expect JSON is ever going to change.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori