> On (Tue) 22 Mar 2016 [19:05:31], Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
> > * Liang Li (liang.z...@intel.com) wrote:
>
> > > b. Implement a new virtio device
> > > Implementing a brand new virtio device to exchange information
> > > between host and guest is another choice. It requires modifying the
> > > virtio spec too.
> >
> > If the right solution is to change the spec then we should do it; we
> > shouldn't use a technically worse solution just to avoid the spec
> > change; although we have to be even more careful to get the right
> > solution if we want to change the spec.
>
> Yes, absolutely.  I didn't mean to suggest virtio-serial because it'll help
> us save
> with modifying specs.  I suggested it because for me, the most important
> point was that if a guest is sensitive to latencies or spikes, the balloon
> driver
> is definitely going to be not installed by the guest admin.
>
> (I'm still not caught up on this thread, but wanted to clarify this right
> away.)
>
>               Amit

Amit, thanks for your reply.

If the balloon driver is installed but there is no inflate/deflate operations,
does it
still affect guest's performance?

Finally, we have to make a choice between these solutions.
A new virtio device/virtio-balloon/virtio-serial.

Which one your guys think is better? Maybe we should have more discussions
about this.

Thanks!
Liang