On 9/7/2016 10:14 PM, Alex Williamson wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Sep 2016 21:45:31 +0530
> Kirti Wankhede <kwankh...@nvidia.com> wrote:
>
>> On 9/7/2016 2:58 AM, Alex Williamson wrote:

>>> What constraints does a group, which is not an iommu group, place on the
>>> usage of the mdev devices?  What happens if we put two mdev devices in
>>> the same "mdev group" and then assign them to separate VMs/users?  I
>>> believe that the answer is that this theoretical "mdev group" doesn't
>>> actually impose any constraints on the devices within the group or how
>>> they're used.
>>>

>> We feel its not a good idea to try to associate device's iommu groups
>> with mdev device groups. That adds more complications.
>>
>> As in above nodedev-create xml, 'group1' could be a unique number that
>> can be generated by libvirt. Then to create mdev device:
>>
>>   echo $UUID1:group1 > create
>>
>> If user want to add more mdev devices to same group, he/she should use
>> same group number in next nodedev-create devices. So create commands
>> would be:
>>   echo $UUID2:group1 > create
>>   echo $UUID3:group1 > create
>
> So groups return to being static, libvirt would need to destroy and
> create mdev devices specifically for use within the predefined group?

Yes.

> This imposes limitations on how mdev devices can be used (ie. the mdev
> pool option is once again removed).  We're also back to imposing
> grouping semantics on mdev devices that may not need them.  Do all mdev
> devices for a given user need to be put into the same group?

Yes.

> Do groups
> span parent devices?  Do they span different vendor drivers?

Yes and yes. Group number would be associated with mdev device
irrespective of its parent.

>> Each mdev device would store this group number in its mdev_device
>> structure.
>>
>> With this, we would add open() and close() callbacks from vfio_mdev
>> module for vendor driver to commit resources. Then we don't need
>> 'start'/'stop' or online/offline interface.
>>
>> To commit resources for all devices associated to that domain/user space
>> application, vendor driver can use 'first open()' and 'last close()' to
>> free those. Or if vendor driver want to commit resources for each device
>> separately, they can do in each device's open() call. It will depend on
>> vendor driver how they want to implement.
>>
>> Libvirt don't have to do anything about assigned group numbers while
>> managing mdev devices.
>>
>> QEMU commandline parameter would be same as earlier (don't have to
>> mention group number here):
>>
>>   -device vfio-pci,sysfsdev=/sys/bus/mdev/devices/$UUID1 \
>>   -device vfio-pci,sysfsdev=/sys/bus/mdev/devices/$UUID2
>>
>> In case if two mdev devices from same groups are assigned to different
>> domains, we can fail open() call of second device. How would driver know
>> that those are being used by different domain? By checking <group1, pid>
>> of first device of 'group1'. The two devices in same group should have
>> same pid in their open() call.
>
> Are you assuming that the two devices are owned by the same vendor
> driver?

No. See my reply to next questions below.

>  What if I put NVIDIA and Intel vGPUs both into the same group
> and give each of them to a separate VM?

It depends on where we put the logic to verify pid in open() call of
each devices in group.
If we place the logic of checking <group, pid> for devices in a group in
vendor driver, then in above case both VMs would boot.
But If we impose this logic in mdev core or vfio_mdev module, then
open() on second device should fail.

>  How would the NVIDIA host
> driver know which <group, pid> the Intel device got?

How to make use of group number to commit resources for devices owned by
a vendor would be vendor driver's responsibility. NVIDIA driver doesn't
need to know about Intel's vGPU nor Intel driver need to know about
NVIDIA's vGPU.

>  This is what the
> iommu groups do that a different layer of grouping cannot do.  Maybe
> you're suggesting a group per vendor driver, but how does libvirt know
> the vendor driver?  Do they need to go research the parent device in
> sysfs and compare driver links?

No, group is not associated with vendor driver. Group number is
associated iwth mdev device.

Thanks,
Kirti