On 10/18/2016 03:05 PM, Marek Vasut wrote:
Thanks, I hope this is fixed now, although I mostly special-case the
R_ZERO handling throughout the code. Any writes to R_ZERO are now
ignored and any usage is converted to mov/movi instructions where
applicable.

We've done that in the past, but in the end it is much cleaner to
minimize the number of places in which you have to check for R_ZERO.

Isn't it a bit more performant if you generate as little TCG
instructions as possible ?

Well, yes and no.

We're always going to run the tcg optimizers, so the resulting code should be the same either way.

Processing a little more data can be preferable to fewer branch prediction failures. And the best way to avoid those is to not have the branch at all. Especially when it's unlikely that the data will be created in the first place.

r~