On Fri, 21 Oct 2016 08:30:53 +0530
Kirti Wankhede <kwankh...@nvidia.com> wrote:

> On 10/21/2016 2:52 AM, Alex Williamson wrote:

> >> Ok. The strings should be in uapi, but having function (like below) to
> >> return proper string based on flag would be good to have for vendor driver.
> >>
> >>  +const char *vfio_device_api_string(u32 flags)
> >>  +{
> >>  + if (flags & VFIO_DEVICE_FLAGS_PCI)
> >>  +         return VFIO_DEVICE_API_PCI_STRING;
> >>  +
> >>  + if (flags & VFIO_DEVICE_FLAGS_PLATFORM)
> >>  +         return VFIO_DEVICE_API_PLATFORM_STRING;
> >>  +
> >>  + if (flags & VFIO_DEVICE_FLAGS_AMBA)
> >>  +         return VFIO_DEVICE_API_AMBA_STRING;
> >>  +
> >>  + return "";
> >>  +}
> >>  +EXPORT_SYMBOL(vfio_device_api_string);
> >
> > I disagree, it's pointless maintenance overhead.  It's yet another
> > function that we need to care about for kABI and it offers almost no
> > value.  Thanks,
> >

> If any vendor driver sets VFIO_DEVICE_FLAGS_PLATFORM flag but sets
> VFIO_DEVICE_API_PCI_STRING, we don't have a way to verify this in kernel
> driver. Is that acceptable?

a) The function doesn't solve that problem, as seen in the mtty sample
driver there's no guarantee that the vendor driver passes
device_info.flags vs the #define for the flag itself.  So we're already
expecting them to get it right in two separate places.

b) It's not going to take them very long to figure this out if they
care about userspace tools that make use of this field to determine the
device API.  This is a very obvious and simple bug.

c) We can check and correct how open source vendor drivers work.

Thanks,
Alex