Two important findings: 1) If I disable ntpd on the host, this issue goes away. 2) If I forcefully induce substantial clock skew on the host (with adjtimex -f 100000000000), it becomes much less time intensive to reproduce this issue. Using the attached reproducer but replacing the 18h sleep with a 20m sleep can still reliably reproduce the issue in this case.
So, this issue is definitely related to clock skew. -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of qemu- devel-ml, which is subscribed to QEMU. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1732959 Title: [regression] Clock jump on source VM after migration Status in QEMU: New Bug description: We (ab)use migration + block mirroring to perform transparent zero downtime VM backups. Basically: 1) do a block mirror of the source VM's disk 2) migrate the source VM to a destination VM using the disk copy 3) cancel the block mirroring 4) resume the source VM 5) shut down the destination VM gracefully and move the disk to backup Relatively recently, the source VM's clock started jumping after step #4. More specifically, the clock jumps an amount of time proportional to the time since it was last migrated. With a week between migrations, clock jumps between ~2.5s and ~12s have been observed. For a particular host, the amount of clock jump is fairly consistent, but there is a large variation from one host to the next (this is likely down to hardware variations and the amount of NTP adjusted clock drift on the host). This is caused by a kernel regression which I was able to bisect. The result of the bisect was: 108b249c453dd7132599ab6dc7e435a7036c193f is the first bad commit commit 108b249c453dd7132599ab6dc7e435a7036c193f Author: Paolo Bonzini <pbonz...@redhat.com> Date: Thu Sep 1 14:21:03 2016 +0200 KVM: x86: introduce get_kvmclock_ns Introduce a function that reads the exact nanoseconds value that is provided to the guest in kvmclock. This crystallizes the notion of kvmclock as a thin veneer over a stable TSC, that the guest will (hopefully) convert with NTP. In other words, kvmclock is *not* a paravirtualized host-to-guest NTP. Drop the get_kernel_ns() function, that was used both to get the base value of the master clock and to get the current value of kvmclock. The former use is replaced by ktime_get_boot_ns(), the latter is the purpose of get_kernel_ns(). This also allows KVM to provide a Hyper-V time reference counter that is synchronized with the time that is computed from the TSC page. Reviewed-by: Roman Kagan <rka...@virtuozzo.com> Signed-off-by: Paolo Bonzini <pbonz...@redhat.com> I am able to reproduce the issue with much newer kernels as well, including 4.12.5 and 4.9.6. Reliably reproducing the problem in isolation is difficult, as one must run a VM for many hours before the clock jump from this bug is noticeable over the clock jump inherent with a pause and resume of the VM. The reproducer I am including is set to run the VM for 18 hours before migration and looks for >= 150 ms of clock jump. On different hardware, you may need to let the VM run for more than 18 hours to reliably reproduce the issue. To reproduce the issue, please see the attached reproducer. The host needs to have perl, screen and socat installed for the backup script to work. Both the host and guest need to be running NTP (and NTP must autostart at boot in the guest). The host needs to be able to SSH into the guest using SSH keys (to measure the clock jump), so you will need to configure the network and SSH keys appropriately, then change the hardcoded IP address in checktime.sh and test.sh. I have only tested with CentOS 7 guests. The qemu command that gets run is in .kvmscreen (the destination VM's command line is programmatically constructed from this command as well), you may need to tweak the bridge configuration. Also, although the reproducer is relatively self contained, it has several built in assumptions that will break if the image file is not in the /var/lib/kvm directory or if the monitor file is not in the /var/lib/kvm/monitor directory, or if the /backup directory does not exist. Finally, if you change the process name or socket name in .kvmscreen, you'll need to adjust the cleanup section in test.sh. With all of the above in place, run test.sh and check back in a little over 18 hours, part of the output should include something along these lines: Target not found (wanted 150, at 10) - or - Target found (wanted 150, found 340) If the target is reported as found, that means that we have probably reproduced the described issue. The version of QEMU in use does not appear to matter. At one point I tested every major version from 2.4 to 2.9 (inclusive) and reproduced the issue in all of them. This was initially observed on two different Gentoo hosts. I have also started to see this issue happening with four different RHEL 7 hosts as of the upgrade to RHEL 7.4. This is not too surprising as it appears that the above commit has been backported into RHEL 7. All hosts and guests are 64-bit. To manage notifications about this bug go to: https://bugs.launchpad.net/qemu/+bug/1732959/+subscriptions