On 02/13/18 17:28, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 09, 2018 at 07:12:59PM +0000, Shaun Reitan wrote:
>> QEMU leaves the pidfile behind on a clean exit when using the option
>> -pidfile /var/run/qemu.pid.
>>
>> Should QEMU leave it behind or should it clean up after itself?
>>
>> I'm willing to take a crack at a patch to fix the issue, but before I do, I
>> want to make sure that leaving the pidfile behind was not intentional?
>
> If QEMU deletes the pidfile on exit then, with the current pidfile
> acquisition logic, there's a race condition possible:
>
> To acquire we do
>
>  1. fd = open()
>  2. lockf(fd)
>
> If the first QEMU that currently owns the pidfile unlinks in, while
> a second qemu is in betweeen steps 1 & 2, the second QEMU will
> acquire the pidfile successfully (which is fine) but the pidfile
> is now unlinked. This is not fine, because a 3rd qemu can now come
> and try to acquire the pidfile (by creating a new one) and succeed,
> despite the second qemu still owning the (now unlinked) pidfile.
>
> It is possible to deal with this race by making qemu_create_pidfile
> more intelligent [1]. It would have todo
>
>   1. fd = open(filename)
>   2. fstat(fd)
>   3. lockf(fd)
>   4. stat(filename)
>
> It must then compare the results of 2 + 4 to ensure the pidfile it
> acquired is the same as the one on disk. With this change, it would
> be safe for QEMU to delete the pidfile on exit.

Why don't we just open the pidfile with (O_CREAT | O_EXCL)? O_EXCL is
supposed to be atomic.

... The open(2) manual on Linux says,

              On  NFS,  O_EXCL  is  supported only when using NFSv3 or
              later on kernel 2.6 or later.  In NFS environments where
              O_EXCL support is not provided, programs that rely on it
              for performing locking tasks will contain a race  condi-
              tion.   [...]

Sigh.

> [1] See the equiv libvirt logic for pidfile acquisition in
>
> https://libvirt.org/git/?p=libvirt.git;a=blob;f=src/util/virpidfile.c;h=58ab29f77f2cfb8583447112dae77a07446bc627;hb=HEAD#l384

To my knowledge, "same file" should be checked with:

  a.st_dev == b.st_dev && a.st_ino == b.st_ino

Example:
- "filename" is "/var/run/qemu.pid"
- "/var/run" is originally a symbolic link to "/mnt/fs1/"
- between steps #1 and #4, "/var/run" is re-created as a symbolic link
  to "/mnt/fs2/" -- a different filesystem from fs1
- "/mnt/fs2/qemu.pid" happens to have the same inode number as
  "/mnt/fs1/qemu.pid"

Thanks,
Laszlo