Hi,

* multitouch capabilities would be good to design in a mouse protocol
for 2011, so having say 16 x/y pairs would be better

Point. What do we need here? Finger $n down, finger $n up, finger $n moved to $x,$y? Does it make sense to just add this to the move+buttonup/down structs? Or should it better be separate?

* on mac os at least scrolling is not done by pressing virtual
buttons, but by having a separate scroll interface that knows about
velocity and such - maybe worth adding that to the protocol from the
beginning too.

Is that actually done by the hardware? I'd expect macos processes the multitouch events, then provides this (finger $n moves this fast into that direction) as high-level interface, so this isn't something we have to care about at virtual hardware level.

cheers,
  Gerd