Swapping the interrupt pins fixes the problem on Linux v4.13 and later. Older kernels start failing as follows.
On v4.12 and earlier, the Ethernet interface fails to instantiate with fec 2188000.ethernet (unnamed net_device) (uninitialized): MDIO read timeout fec: probe of 2188000.ethernet failed with error -5 I have not found the reason yet. Unmodified qemu works fine. - v4.1 and earlier crash. The crash is due to a bad error path and fixed by commit 32cba57ba74be ("net: fec: introduce fec_ptp_stop and use in probe fail path"). -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of qemu- devel-ml, which is subscribed to QEMU. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1753309 Title: Ethernet interrupt vectors for sabrelite machine are defined backwards Status in QEMU: New Bug description: The sabrelite machine model used by qemu-system-arm is based on the Freescale/NXP i.MX6Q processor. This SoC has an on-board ethernet controller which is supported in QEMU using the imx_fec.c module (actually called imx.enet for this model.) The include/hw/arm/fsm-imx6.h file defines the interrupt vectors for the imx.enet device like this: #define FSL_IMX6_ENET_MAC_1588_IRQ 118 #define FSL_IMX6_ENET_MAC_IRQ 119 However, this is backwards. The reference manual for the i.MX6D/Q devices can be found here: https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/reference-manual/IMX6DQRM.pdf On page 225, in Table 3-1. ARM Cortex A9 domain interrupt summary, it shows the following: 150 ENET MAC 0 IRQ, Logical OR of: MAC 0 Periodic Timer Overflow MAC 0 Time Stamp Available MAC 0 Time Stamp Available MAC 0 Time Stamp Available MAC 0 Payload Receive Error MAC 0 Transmit FIFO Underrun MAC 0 Collision Retry Limit MAC 0 Late Collision MAC 0 Ethernet Bus Error MAC 0 MII Data Transfer Done MAC 0 Receive Buffer Done MAC 0 Receive Frame Done MAC 0 Transmit Buffer Done MAC 0 Transmit Frame Done MAC 0 Graceful Stop MAC 0 Babbling Transmit Error MAC 0 Babbling Receive Error MAC 0 Wakeup Request [synchronous] 151 ENET MAC 0 1588 Timer interrupt [synchronous] request Note: 150 - 32 == 118 151 - 32 == 119 In other words, the vector definitions in the fsl-imx6.h file are reversed. The correct definition is: #define FSL_IMX6_ENET_MAC_IRQ 118 #define FSL_IMX6_ENET_MAC_1588_IRQ 119 I tested the sabrelite simulation using VxWorks 7 (which supports the SabreLite board) and found that while I was able to send and receive packet data via the simulated ethernet interface, the VxWorks i.MX6 ethernet driver failed to receive any interrupts. When I corrected the interrupt vector definitions as shown above and recompiled QEMU, everything worked as expected. I was able to exchange ICMP packets with the simulated target and telnet to/from the VxWorks instance running in the virtual machine. I used the tap interface for this. As a workaround I was also able to make the ethernet work by modifying the VxWorks imx6q-sabrelite.dts file to change the ethernet interrupt property from 150 to 151. This problem was observed with the following environment: Host: FreeBSD/amd64 11.1-RELEASE QEMU version: 2.11.0 and 2.11.1 built from source code To manage notifications about this bug go to: https://bugs.launchpad.net/qemu/+bug/1753309/+subscriptions