On Mon, 2 Sep 2019 21:09:58 +0200
Laszlo Ersek <ler...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 09/02/19 10:45, Igor Mammedov wrote:
> > On Fri, 30 Aug 2019 20:46:14 +0200
> > Laszlo Ersek <ler...@redhat.com> wrote:

> >> In step (03), it is the OS that handles the SCI; it transfers control to
> >> ACPI. The AML can write to IO port 0xB2 only because the OS allows it.
> >>
> >> If the OS decides to omit that step, and sends an INIT-SIPI-SIPI
> >> directly to the new CPU, can it steal the CPU?
> > It sure can but this way it won't get access to privileged SMRAM
> > so OS can't subvert firmware.
> > The next time SMI broadcast is sent the CPU will use SMI handler at
> > default 30000 SMBASE. It's up to us to define behavior here (for example
> > relocation handler can put such CPU in shutdown state).
> >
> > It's in the best interest of OS to cooperate and execute AML
> > provided by firmware, if it does not follow proper cpu hotplug flow
> > we can't guarantee that stolen CPU will work.
>
> This sounds convincing enough, for the hotplugged CPU; thanks.
>
> So now my concern is with step (01). While preparing for the initial
> relocation (of cold-plugged CPUs), the code assumes the memory at the
> default SMBASE (0x30000) is normal RAM.
>
> Is it not a problem that the area is written initially while running in
> normal 32-bit or 64-bit mode, but then executed (in response to the
> first, synchronous, SMI) as SMRAM?

currently there is no SMRAM at 0x30000, so all access falls through
into RAM address space and we are about to change that.

but firmware doesn't have to use it as RAM, it can check if QEMU
supports SMRAM at 0x30000 and if supported map it to configure
and then lock it down.

> Basically I'm confused by the alias.
>
> TSEG (and presumably, A/B seg) work like this:
> - when open, looks like RAM to normal mode and SMM
> - when closed, looks like black-hole to normal mode, and like RAM to SMM
>
> The generic edk2 code knows this, and manages the SMRAM areas accordingly.
>
> The area at 0x30000 is different:
> - looks like RAM to both normal mode and SMM
>
> If we set up the alias at 0x30000 into A/B seg,
> - will that *permanently* hide the normal RAM at 0x30000?
> - will 0x30000 start behaving like A/B seg?
>
> Basically my concern is that the universal code in edk2 might or might
> not keep A/B seg open while initially populating the area at the default
> SMBASE. Specifically, I can imagine two issues:
>
> - if the alias into A/B seg is inactive during the initial population,
> then the initial writes go to RAM, but the execution (the first SMBASE
> relocation) will occur from A/B seg through the alias
>
> - alternatively, if the alias is always active, but A/B seg is closed
> during initial population (which happens in normal mode), then the
> initial writes go to the black hole, and execution will occur from a
> "blank" A/B seg.
>
> Am I seeing things? (Sorry, I keep feeling dumber and dumber in this
> thread.)

I don't really know how firmware uses A/B segments and I'm afraid that
cannibalizing one for configuring 0x30000 might break something.

Since we are inventing something out of q35 spec anyway, How about
leaving A/B/TSEG to be and using fwcfg to configure when/where
SMRAM(0x30000+128K) should be mapped into RAM address space.

I see a couple of options:
  1: use identity mapping where SMRAM(0x30000+128K) maps into the same
     range in RAM address space when firmware writes into fwcfg
     file and unmaps/locks on the second write (until HW reset)
  2: let firmware choose where to map SMRAM(0x30000+128K) in RAM address
     space, logic is essentially the same as above only firmware
     picks and writes into fwcfg an address where SMRAM(0x30000+128K)
     should be mapped.