John Snow <js...@redhat.com> writes:

> Hi, I'm having a regular trainwreck here w/ the Docker test suite and I
> have a few questions;
>
> 1. Which tests should I expect to work by default? for instance,
> make-debug doesn't but I think that might be normal. Is that the only
> one?

test-build is the only one that just builds. As a lot of the docker
images are cross compilers you generally can't run tests with them which
limits the use of tests that run make check.

> 2. Should all tests work for all targets?

No for reasons of cross compilers. However we should be at the point
that:

  make docker-test-build

should run and complete all the builds it can (with non-x86 systems
skipping a whole chunk). There is some re-factoring work to be done to
make the whole system a bit more friendly to multiple host architectures.

> 3. Which images can I use to run tests? e.g. make docker-test-quick@XXXX
> .. the help output shows me ALL images, including your partial ones.

It does? It filters out the partial ones for me. Broadly the mainline OS
ones are all capable of building and running tests
(centos/debian-amd64/fedora/ubuntu/travis).

> think we only want to see non-partial images for help output, or make
> clear which ones are for tests and which ones are just images.
>
> 4. docker8 is listed as a partial image, but doesn't appear to be
> consumed by anything. Can it be removed?

Yes.

> - Ditto for debian-sid.

Probably - I almost removed it last time but Phillipe convinced me to
keep it in. I think now buster is out and has packaged gcc's for all the
old arches (alpha etc) we can probably get rid of it.

> - Ditto for debian-ports.

This was useful for compilers for old arches but I think it can be got
rid of now. It's basically sid with a different repo URL.

> (should debian-sid and debian-ports actually be promoted to non-partial
> images? or, how do I configure the other debian targets to use these as
> a base instead?)

For true any Debian you want you can use Debian bootstrap - although
it's main use case is for setting up binfmt_misc foreign arch images.

--
Alex Bennée