On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 at 17:42, Marc-André Lureau
<marcandre.lur...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 6:32 PM Peter Maydell <peter.mayd...@linaro.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 at 17:23, Marc-André Lureau
> > <marcandre.lur...@redhat.com> wrote:
> > Devices shouldn't have properties to set their MMIO base
> > address -- instead the memory-mapped serial device should
> > be a child of TYPE_SYSBUS_DEVICE, and should provide
> > a sysbus mmio region, which users of the device can
> > map at the address they want to map the registers.
>

> Can we make serial a sysbus device? It seems to be embedded from
> various places, in various buses. Not sure that makes sense, please
> advise me :)

You want the SerialMMState to be is-a sysbus-device, and to
has-a SerialState, I think.

> "base" is mostly needed to set qdev_set_legacy_instance_id(), I should
> have added a commit comment. Otherwise, it can be passed to
> serial_mm_connect() directly.

serial_mm_connect() shouldn't exist at all, though -- we
want to end up with a normal sysbus device whose users
create it and wire up its MMIO and IRQ in the same way they
do any other sysbus device.

thanks
-- PMM