Hi

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 7:01 PM Markus Armbruster <arm...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Daniel P. Berrangé <berra...@redhat.com> writes:

> >> We need to make up our minds what exactly we want generated.  Then we
> >> can design the QAPI language, and code up the generator.
> >>
> >> Skeleton QOM type, to help with the discussion:
> >>
> >>     #define TYPE_FOO "foo"
> >>
> >>     #define FOO(obj) OBJECT_CHECK(Foo, (obj), TYPE_FOO)
> >>     #define FOO_CLASS(klass) \
> >>         OBJECT_CLASS_CHECK(FooClass, (klass), TYPE_FOO)
> >>     #define FOO_GET_CLASS(obj) \
> >>         OBJECT_GET_CLASS(FooClass, (obj), TYPE_FOO)
> >>
> >>     typedef FooClass {
> >>         ParentClass parent_class;
> >>         ... // hand-written per-class state
> >>     }
> >>
> >>     struct Chardev {
> >>         ParentObject parent_obj;
> >>         ... // hand-written instance (per-object) state
> >>     };
> >>
> >>     static const TypeInfo char_type_info = {
> >>         .name = TYPE_FOO,
> >>         .parent = TYPE_OBJECT,
> >>         .instance_size = sizeof(Foo),
> >>         .instance_init = ...,                   // methods to initialize
> >>         .instance_post_init = ...,              // and finalize instances,
> >>         .instance_finalize = ...,               // all optional
> >>         .abstract = ...,                        // true or false (d'oh)
> >>         .class_size = sizeof(FooClass),
> >>         .class_init = ...,                      // methods to initialize
> >>         .class_base_init = ...,                 // classes, optional
> >>         .class_data = ...,                      // extra argument for them
> >>         .interfaces = ...
> >>     };
> >>
> >> There's substantial boilerplate, with plenty of hand-written code in the
> >> gaps.  What of the boilerplate do we plan to generate?  How do we plan
> >> to fill the gaps, if any?
> >
> > FWIW, even without a QOM generator, we can do waaaaaaay better on the
> > amount of boilerplate needed for QOM without very much work. It just
> > needs a few convenience macros writing.
> >
> > QOM is not GObject, but is heavily inspired by it and so looking at
> > GObject gives us a design pattern we can aim to match in terms of
> > amount of boilerplate.
> >
> > What we do manually with TypeInfo struct there has essentially always
> > been done by a 1 line macro in GObject:
> >
> >   G_DEFINE_TYPE(virIdentity, vir_identity, G_TYPE_OBJECT)
> >
> > If implementing interfaces, there's 1 extra line needed per interface
> > to associate them.
> >

> > https://developer.gnome.org/gobject/stable/gobject-Type-Information.html#G-DEFINE-TYPE:CAPS
> >

> > And what we do in the header file to add the 4 or more FOO_XXX macros,
> > and the class struct and the object struct has recently been turned
> > into a 2-liner:
> >
> >   #define VIR_TYPE_IDENTITY vir_identity_get_type()
> >   G_DECLARE_FINAL_TYPE(virIdentity, vir_identity, VIR, IDENTITY, GObject);
> >

> > https://developer.gnome.org/gobject/stable/gobject-Type-Information.html#G-DECLARE-FINAL-TYPE:CAPS
> >
> > Or
> >
> >   #define VIR_TYPE_IDENTITY vir_identity_get_type()
> [...]

Actually, we are not that far off from being able to use GObject
altogether (I hacked something like that to play with), but I
disgress...

So introducing GObject-like macros? sure!

There are plenty of refactoring to do. The problem when touching the
whole code-base, imho, is review time. It may take a couple of
hours/days to come up with a cocci/spatch, and make various patches
here and there. But it takes often weeks and a lot of constant push to
various folks to get all the reviews (as seens by the qdev prop-ptr
series earlier for example). How can we better address whole code-base
changes?

--
Marc-André Lureau