On 6/5/20 10:40 AM, Vladimir Sementsov-Ogievskiy wrote:

> Hmm, documentation says:
>
>    Warning Using setup_requires is discouraged in favor of PEP-518
>
> did you consider this thing?

I guess the difference here is we start using a pyproject.toml and then
we declare setuptools, wheel and setuptools_scm dependencies there.

In turn, pip will no longer install those projects to the user's
environment, but will create its own virtual environment for the
purposes of the build/installation process.

(It looks like pip re-downloads and re-installs these files every time
you run the install? That seems ... bad?)

It looks like this support was added in pip 10. Not all the platforms we
support at the moment appear to have pip 10 in their distribution
repository, though technically ... you could use pip 9 to install a more
modern pip to your userspace.

I think maybe I'd prefer to just leave this alone for now. We can update
it if there's some compelling reason to upgrade, but it's still a pretty
new feature that doesn't seem to be in widespread usage yet.

setuptools is widely regarded to be "the default", and I believe pip
will assume and support this for a while longer yet.

No hurry to upgrade, I think, but I could be wrong. Python packaging is
convoluted.

--js