Paolo Bonzini <pbonz...@redhat.com> writes:

> On 05/06/20 01:30, Thiago Jung Bauermann wrote:
>> Paolo Bonzini <pbonz...@redhat.com> writes:
>>>
>>> How would you start a non-protected VM?
>>> Currently it's the "-machine"
>>> property that decides that, and the argument requires an id
>>> corresponding to "-object".
>>
>> If there's only one object, there's no need to specify its id.
>
> This answers my question.  However, the property is defined for all
> machines (it's in the "machine" class), so if it takes the id for one
> machine it does so for all of them.

I don't understand much about QEMU internals, so perhaps it's not
practical to implement but from an end-user perspective I think this
logic can apply to all architectures (since my understanding is that all
of them use only one object): make the id optional. If it's not
specified, then there must be only one object, and the property will
implicitly refer to it.

Then, if an architecture doesn't need to specify parameters at object
creation time, it can be implicitly created and the user doesn't have to
worry about this detail.

--
Thiago Jung Bauermann
IBM Linux Technology Center