Hello Dave,

Thanks for your response, please see my replies inline :

On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 02:53:42PM +0100, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
> * Ashish Kalra (ashish.ka...@amd.com) wrote:
> > Hello Alan, Paolo,
> >
> > I am following up on Brijesh’s patches for SEV guest debugging support for
> > Qemu using gdb and/or qemu monitor.
> > I believe that last time, Qemu SEV debug patches were not applied and have
> > attached the link to the email thread and Paolo’s feedback below for
> > reference [1].
> > I wanted to re-start a discussion on the same here with the Qemu community
> > and seek the feedback on the approaches which we are considering :
> > Looking at Qemu code, I see the following interface is defined, for virtual
> > memory access for debug : cpu_memory_rw_debug().
> > Both gdbstub (target_memory_rw_debug() ) and QMP/HMP (monitor/misc.c :
> > memory_dump() ) use this standard and well-defined interface to access
> > guest memory for debugging purposes.
> >
> > This internally invokes the address_space_rw() accessor functions which we
> > had  "fixed" internally (as part of the earlier patch) to invoke memory
> > region specific debug ops.
> > In our earlier approach we were adding debug ops/callbacks to memory
> > regions and as per comments on our earlier patches, Paolo was not happy
> > with this debug API for
> > MemoryRegions and hence the SEV support for Qemu was merged without the
> > debug support.
> >
> > Now, we want to reuse this cpu_memory_rw_debug() interface or alternatively
> > introduce a new generic debug interface/object in the Qemu. This
> > debug interface should be controlled through the global machine policy.
>
> Let me leave the question of how the memory_rw_debug interface should
> work to Paolo.
>
> > For e.g.,
> > # $QEMU -machine -debug=<a debug object>
> > or
> > # $QEMU -machine -debug=sev-guest-debug
> >
> > The QMP and GDB access will be updated to use the generic debug  interface.
> > The generic debug interface or the cpu_memory_rw_debug() interace will
> > introduce hooks to call a
> > vendor specific debug object to delegate accessing the data. The vendor
> > specific debug object may do a further checks before and after accessing
> > the memory.
>
> I'm not sure that needs a commandline switch for it; since you can
> already get it from the guest policy in the sev object and I can't think
> of any other cases that would need something similar.

Yes, i agree with that, so i am now considering abstracting this vendor
specific debug interface via CPUClass object instead of doing it via
MemoryRegions.

> > Now, looking specifically at cpu_memory_rw_debug() interface, this
> > interface is invoked for all guest memory accesses for debugging purposes
> > and it also does
> > guest VA to GPA translation via cpu_get_phys_page_attrs_debug(), so we can
> > again add a vendor specific callback here to do guest VA to GPA
> > translations specific
> > to SEV as SEV guest debugging will also require accessing guest page table
> > entries and decrypting them via the SEV DBG_DECRYPT APIs and additionally
> > clearing
> > the C-bit on page table entries (PxEs) before using them further for page
> > table walks.
> >
> > There is still an issue with the generic cpu_memory_rw_debug() interface,
> > though it is used for all guest memory accesses for debugging and we can
> > also handle
> > guest page table walks via it (as mentioned above), there are still other
> > gdb/monitor commands such as tlb_info_xx() and mem_info_xx() which also do
> > guest page
> > table walks, but they don’t go through any generic guest memory
> > access/debug interface, so these commands will need to be handled
> > additionally for SEV.
>
> If some of those should be using the debug interface and aren't then
> please fix them anyway.
>
> > The vendor specific debug object (added as a hook to generic debug object
> > or the generic cpu_memory_rw_debug() interface) will do further checks
> > before and after accessing the memory.
> >
> > e.g., in the case of SEV,
> >
> > 1. Check the guest policy, if guest policy does not allow debug then return
> > an error.
> >
> > 2. If its an MMIO region then access the data.
> >
> > 3. If its RAM region then call the PSP commands to decrypt the data.
> >
> > 4. If caller asked to read the PTE entry then probably clear the C-bits
> > after reading the PTE entry.
>
> Does that work if the guest is currently running?

I assume you are asking that is this done when guest is being debugged,
the above steps are only done when the guest is paused and being debugged.

Thanks,
Ashish