On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 at 09:25, Mihai Carabas <mihai.cara...@oracle.com> wrote:
> The patchset was assembled from chuncks from some old patches from 2018 [1]
> which were left unmerged and some additions from me. Surprisingly their Linux
> kernel counterpart were merged (so the pvpanic driver from the kernel supports
> mmio).
>
> I have seen the discussions about moving the pvpanic to PCI [1]. Those patches
> were sent but nothing happened. Also they are not trivial and require major
> modifications at the driver level also. Given the fact that we already have
> mmio driver support for pvpanic in the Linux kernel, I have sent these patches
> to ask again the maintainers if this can be merged.

I'm afraid the answer is still the same. You need to provide
a convincing argument for why this needs to be an MMIO
device rather than a PCI device. I really don't want to
add MMIO devices to the virt board if I can avoid it,
because they're all extra code and potential extra
security boundary attack surface. PCI devices are guest
probeable and user-pluggable so they're almost always
nicer to use than MMIO.

thanks
-- PMM