Il gio 12 nov 2020, 07:55 Markus Armbruster <arm...@redhat.com> ha scritto:

> Immediate removal of -set / rejection of -set for some option groups
> needs more justification than just "I think we can get away with it":
> there has to be a tangible benefit.

The benefit is being able to switch parsers (for everything but -device to
begin with) away from QemuOpts. Non-scalar priorities have a use for
machine, accel and object, but for now not for device. Alternatively I can:

1) keep QemuOpts as the parser, and turn the options into qdict, instead of
using keyval

2) move -set out of config-file.c and into vl.c, so that I can special case
the monkey patching.

What would immediate removal buy us
> over the orthodox "deprecate, wait for grace period to expire, remove"?

The problem is that, at least for -device, I don't think we can reasonably
remove it without a replacement.

Paolo