On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 6:27 AM Daniel P. Berrangé <berra...@redhat.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 08, 2021 at 12:41:30PM -0700, Warner Losh wrote:
> > The FreeBSD project has rewritten bsd-user. We've been working on this
> for
> > quite some time (the earliest commits date from 2013). Maybe a dozen
> people
> > have worked on this over time, and there's 3 or 4 active developers
> focused
> > on FreeBSD changes at the moment.
>
> The fact that you have 3-4 people involved in this work is will be very
> helpful to you going forward with a QEMU maintenance.
>
> The biggest problem with getting code merged into QEMU is an insufficient
> number of reviewers for the amount of patches sent. Since we have a rule
> that patches need a review from someone else who isn't the author, if there
> are two people with expertize to review patches in a given QEMU subsystem,
> then they can become self-sufficient and review each others patches on
> qemu-devel, which then makes merging much more productive.

Yes. That's my hope too. We've been doing this internally for changes we've
been landing lately, so I think expanding our process to also do this with
qemu upstream will be a natural progression...

> If anyone wants to be automatically CC'd on patches for bsd-user for the
> purposes of acting as a designated reviewer, they can added to MAINTAINERS
> file to, alongside the primary maintainer(s).

I'll be adding myself, at least, to MAINTAINERS and encouraging the others
that have been working on this to take the time to review when I post. They
are quite willing, but may lack the time, alas, so I'll do what I can to
time the patches such that at least one of them has the time in a
reasonable time frame...

> > So, my new plan is to rebase what changes I can to the tip of master and
> > submit those for review. I'll work with the developers on the FreeBSD
> side
> > to ensure they are included in reviews in addition to the normal
> qemu-devel
> > list. This will allow us to pare down the deltas between our code and
> > upstream to allow us to make progress. The changes will be held to the
> > standard 'makes things better'. Given how broken bsd-user is today in
> qemu
> > upstream, at first that will a very easy standard to make.
> >
> > The first patch I'll submit will be changing MAINTAINERS to point to me,
> > since I'm acting as the point person in this effort. I'll then re-submit
> > some other changes that I've submitted in the past, but CC the FreeBSD
> > folks that are currently active (they were only CC'd to former developers
> > who lack the time to review).
>
> > But before I get too far down this path, I thought I'd send out what's
> > going on to qemu-devel so I can get feedback and adjust the plan into
> > something that's mutually agreeable so time I put towards this is not
> > wasted.
>
> No objections from me. Since current bsd-user is orphaned, largely
> unusable, and you're volunteering your time to make it better, I'm
> supportive of whatever you believe is the most time efficient way
> to improve bsd-user.
>
> I presume some of the current QEMU maintainers knowledgable about
> linux-user will be able to review the patches, and as mentioned
> above, if other BSD devs currently active in bsd-user work can
> also provide reviews on qemu-devel that'll be useful long term.

Yes. Many of the patches are copied from there, as well as the initial
version coming largely from there as well (it seems, I wasn't around at the
time and base this entirely on code similarities).

The FreeBSD project makes such heavy use of this, that I really want to
find some way we can stay current and maybe even have better abstractions
that make all user-mode emulation easier...

Warner