On 23/01/21 03:05, Brian Norris wrote:
It turns out that Paolo inadvertently (?) fixed this issue by
refactoring, in v5.2.0:
ea1edcd7da1a vl: relocate paths to data directories
https://git.qemu.org/?p=qemu.git;a=commitdiff;h=ea1edcd7da1a375ef7ccf8aa93b72827b518ad8e;hp=63c4db4c2e6d221cecb5aafa365934bb05724cb4

That wasn't entirely inadvertent. It had been on my todo list to fix relocatability for good, I just didn't remember how it got on the list. :)

So on one hand I didn't remember it to be a regression, and I only really set out to make QEMU relocatable in order to enable the change of commit d17f305a26 ("configure: use a platform-neutral prefix", 2020-09-30). On the other hand, your report was what had made me aware that relocatable installs were buggy and inconsistent.

Paolo