> On 17 Jan 2022, at 16:06, Peter Maydell <peter.mayd...@linaro.org> wrote:
>
> This is newer versions of macOS being stricter about enforcing that
> some operations are only permitted on the correct thread. Older versions
> let QEMU/SDL get away with doing them on the "wrong" thread, which
> all happened to work.

Ah, right, I remember this gave me a lot of headaches when I added the animated
LEDs to qemu-system-gnuarmeclipse, and in the end I had to rewrite the SDL code
to guarantee that graphical updates happen only on the main thread.

> It looks like it's "code would need to be updated to fix the
> problems that newer macOS complains about", which nobody has done.

Later this year I plan to add animated LEDs to qemu-system-arm too, so I might
face the same problems again.

If you think useful, I can contribute the patches back to upstream.

Liviu