On Tue, Jun 21, 2022 at 11:31:36AM +0100, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
> * Laurent Vivier (lviv...@redhat.com) wrote:

> > > Had you considered a -netdev chardev?
> > >

> > I think by definition a "chardev" doesn't behave like a "netdev". Moreover
> > "chardev" is already a frontend for several backends (socket, udp, ...),
> > this would mean we use the frontend "chardev" as a backend of a "netdev".
> > More and more layers...
>
> Yeh definitely more layers; but perhaps avoiding some duplication.
>
> > And in the case of "-netdev dgram", we can use unix socket and
> > sendto()/recv() while something like "-chardev udp,id=char0 -netdev
> > chardev,chardev=char0,id=net0" doesn't support unix (see
> > qio_channel_socket_dgram_sync()/socket_dgram()) and uses a
> > "connect()/sendmsg()/recv()" (that really changes the behaviour of the
> > backend)
>
> It was -chardev socket, path=/unix/socket/path    that I was thinking
> of; -chardev socket supports both tcp and unix already.

IMHO we've over-used & abused chardevs in contexts where we really
should not have done. The chardev API is passable when all you need
is a persistent bidirectional channel, but is a really bad fit for
backends wanting to be aware of the dynamic connection oriented
semantics that sockets offer. The hoops we've had to jump through
in places to deal with having chardevs open asynchronously or deal
with automatic chardev re-connection is quite gross.

Chardev in the past was convenient to use, because we were not so
great at doing CLI syntax modelling & implementation, so it was
useful to re-use the chardev code for socket address handling on
the CLI.  We also didn't historically have nice APIs for dealing
with sockets - if you didn't use chardevs, you were stuck with
the raw sockets APIs. With our aim for CLI to be modelled &
implemented with QAPI these days, that benefit of re-using chardevs
for CLI is largely eliminated.  With our QIOChannel APIs, the
benefits of re-using chardevs from an impl POV is also largely
eliminated.

With regards,
Daniel