On Thu, 11 Aug 2022 at 22:26, Pierre Muller <pie...@freepascal.org> wrote:
>    But as I use machines on which I am not admin,
> I needed to compile capstone locally, install it inside my home dir,
> and export PKG_CONFIG_PATH to allow the meson configuration
> to correctly detect this local installation...

Yes, like all of QEMU's many library dependencies, if you
aren't in a position to get them installed as system libraries
you'll need to sort them out locally as an individual user.
This, to the extent it's a pain, is a Linux distro problem,
not a QEMU problem.

>    However, this is not optimal, especially if I want to be able to
> copy over the resulting binaries to other test machines,
> on which the configuration completely fails,
> like gcc188 for which the current clib is too old according to
> the configure requirements.
>>    Is it really required to have glibc 2.56?

Do you mean glib or glibc ? The two are different...

> On several of these test machines, the version is much older...
> I tried to force acceptance by reducing the requirement,
> and it did compile successfully after that.
>
>    Is there a solid reason to be so restrictive?

We try not to arbitrarily bump the version requirements,
so usually when we do there is a reason. More generally,
you should check out the "supported build platforms"
information at
https://www.qemu.org/docs/master/about/build-platforms.html
For Linux distros, we support the most recent major version,
and we support the major version prior to that for 2 years
after it's been superseded. We don't bump things like
glib version requirements if this would break one of
our supported build platforms.

So if you're running into a version problem with the
system version of a library, this means that you're
trying to build on a host platform which is not in our
supported set, probably because it is simply too old.
You can always expect that that is going to be potentially
awkward and that you're going to have to carry local
workarounds or build newer versions of dependent libraries
locally. The fix is to upgrade the machine to a newer
version of the distro.

thanks
-- PMM