On Tue, May 30, 2023 at 1:58 PM Thomas Huth <th...@redhat.com> wrote:
> The commit cc84d63a42e31c2a that introduce this switch gave a
> rationale:
>
>      Some users can't run a bare 'git' command, due to need for a transparent
>      proxying solution such as 'tsocks'. This adds an argument to configure to
>      let users specify such a thing:
>
>        ./configure --with-git="tsocks git"

I see, thanks for the additional information--it makes sense to
include it in the commit message.

My impression is that the "smart HTTP" protocol has made this concern
less important. Smart HTTP was introduced in 2009, but back in 2017
the git protocol running on port 9418 was still quite common. QEMU
itself switched from git to https in 2018 with commit a897f22b596b62,
about a year after --with-git was introduced.

Paolo