On Tue, 19 Sep 2023 09:47:06 +0100
Daniel P. Berrangé <berra...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 18, 2023 at 02:14:40PM -0700, Ira Weiny wrote:
> > Jonathan Cameron wrote:

> > While we are at it; what about .../hw/mem/cxl_type3_stubs.c?

> > I'm curious about this statement.  Does the qemu project not want gpl v2
> > only code?
>
> Correct, this is explicitly stated in the LICENSE file:
>
> [quote]
> As of July 2013, contributions under version 2 of the GNU General Public
> License (and no later version) are only accepted for the following files
> or directories: bsd-user/, linux-user/, hw/vfio/, hw/xen/xen_pt*.
> [/quote]
>
> >             I agree with Jonathan that this is the intention of Ben's
> > initial submission; so from that PoV.
>
> Ideally we would get all QEMU CXL contributors to agree to re-license
> to the GPL-2.0-or-later, unless the code has been copied from another
> project which was GPL-2.0-only thus forcing our code.
>

> > Acked-by: Ira Weiny <ira.we...@intel.com>
> >
> > Going forward I'd like to better understand the qemu communities view.
>
> Please follow the LICENSE file which is explicit about QEMU's views
> per the quoted text above.

I'd be fine with relaxing these, but there are quite a few contributors
so it will be a little difficult to establish.

Given, for that to be useful we need to do all the CXL files, I'll post
a v2 of this series setting this to GPL-v2-only and we can see if we
can address relicencing at a later date.