On 18/09/2023 23:00, William Roche wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> I'd like to put the emphasis on the fact that ignoring the SRAO error
> for a VM is a real problem at least for a specific (rare) case I'm
> currently working on: The VM migration.
>
> Context:
>
> - In the case of a poisoned page in the VM address space, the migration
> can't read it and will skip this page, considering it as a zero-filled
> page. The VM kernel (that handled the vMCE) would have marked it's
> associated page as poisoned, and if the VM touches the page, the VM
> kernel generates the associated MCE because it already knows about the
> poisoned page.
>
> - When we ignore the vMCE in the case of a SIGBUS/BUS_MCEERR_AO error
> (what this patch does), we entirely rely on the Hypervisor to send an
> SRAR error to qemu when the page is touched: The AMD VM kernel will
> receive the SIGBUS/BUS_MCEERR_AR and deal with it, thanks to your
> changes here.
>
> So it looks like the mechanism works fine... unless the VM has migrated
> between the SRAO error and the first time it really touches the poisoned
> page to get an SRAR error !  In this case, its new address space
> (created on the migration destination) will have a zero-page where we
> had a poisoned page, and the AMD VM Kernel (that never dealt with the
> SRAO) doesn't know about the poisoned page and will access the page
> finding only zeros...  We have a memory corruption !
>
> It is a very rare window, but in order to fix it the most reasonable
> course of action would be to make the AMD emulation deal with SRAO
> errors, instead of ignoring them.
>
> Do you agree with my analysis ?

Under the case that SRAO aren't handled well in the kernel today[*] for AMD, we
could always add a migration blocker when we hit AO sigbus, in case ignoring
is our only option. But this would be less than ideal to propagating the
SRAO into the guest.

[*] Meaning knowing that handling the SRAO would generate a crash in the guest

Perhaps as an improvement, perhaps allow qemu to choose to propagate should this
limitation be lifted via a new -action value and allow it to ignore/propagate or
not e.g.

 -action mce=none # default on Intel to propagate all MCE events to the guest
 -action mce=ignore-optional # Ignore SRAO

I suppose the second is also useful for ARM64 considering they currently ignore
SRAO events too.

> Would an AMD platform generate SRAO signal to a process
> (SIGBUS/BUS_MCEERR_AO) in case of a real hardware error ?

This would be useful to confirm.